1. Where was their favorite place to shop?
2. What was their favorite time of day?
3. Were they “night owls” or “early birds”? Describe some of these habits and routines.
4. Do you recall a favorite pair of shoes they owned? Describe them.
5. Did they have a favorite author? Who? Why? Tell about favorite books. What did books mean to them?
"1. It seems to me that the only stores I remember grandma loving to shop at were any fabric store and storehouse market on 400 S and just East of State Street in Orem. I remember we went there too and there was a really cold room where they kept the produce I believe.
2. I don’t recall what their favorite time of day was but it seemed that in the afternoons you could always find them sitting in their recliners reading books together in the front room. What a great example they set for me.
3. In my mind they were early birds because grandpa was a farmer and had to be when he was young, but I remember family parties lasting until later than normal for my bedtime so they could have been either. One favorite memory was the grown-ups playing cards while the kids played our own games like murder in the dark, truth or dare (most always happened) or ghost in the graveyard or whatever.
4. I don’t recall a favorite pair of shoes for either of them, but I do recall that as a little girl it looked like they had a whole lot of them in their very nice walk-in closet.
5. I can’t say that I know about favorite books, but it seems that most often they would be reading books written by the apostles. They were always seeking to know more about the gospel."
-Marlies
"The shoe game went were gona pass this shoe from me to you to you were gona pass this shoe now do just as I do!Hey I also wanted to add remember Christmas parties how fun they were! How we watched each child from the young to old open a gift! Gosh looking back lots of gifts they bought!I always like to go to grandmas sewing room! I'm sure she loved me in there! She was always making some beautiful things! Wedding dresses quilts outfits! I also remember going on a field trip with my school and guess who was driving yep grandpa. I was so proud of him I had to show him off and I felt so special I got to sit in the front! That was a proud moment!Do you all remember gathering in the living room singing songs and listening to all the singers in the family who got the voice of grandma! To bad it skiped me! But the song I will always remember is the swallow song! Don't know the name but I could sing it for you but I won't do that to you!I always tell my husband he would have loved meeting my grandma. Her personality was so much fun! Water fights and games it was so much fun at her house. She even would hide prizes in food! Does anyone remember the food games. Like she had a pudding that had walnuts in it and who ever had the whole walnut got a prize!"
-Nicole
"1. Grandma's favorite place to shop was the fabric store and now I can't go into a fabric store without a smile on my face as I think about the times that I was able to go fabric shopping with her. I also remember going with her to either the dry cleaners or a florist once and she talked and talked to the storekeeper there as though they had been friends forever! (They probably had!!!)
2. I think the time of day when they were together was their favorite.
3. They did whatever suited the need. I remember them being up early to do canning because they had already harvested the fruit/veggies by the time we were there right after breakfast. I also remember sitting on the stairs talking in the late night as though someone was getting ready to leave and it was just too hard to break the conversation so the conversation moved to the stairs because it was at least on the way to the door!
4. Shoes? I can't say I remember anything special about their shoes. Probably whatever was functional was what they bought.
5. I know that very often when we would go over I would see them sitting and reading. It was very cool to me that they had their very own library and I think I borrowed books to read occasionally. Grandma gave me a set of "go fish" cards where you had to collect all the books from various "classics" authors. For a long time I could tell you about Louisa May Alcott, Charles Dickens and so on."
-Cheryl
"1. I remember many shopping excursions to the fabric stores. We would grab JoEllen and Yvonne and had such a good time. Got great deals, too. Grandma had an eye for a good deal. Who could forget Storehouse Market? They also had a traveling salesman that would stop by the house, and they would buy things from him.
2. Don't recall their favorite time of day, but I am sure it was when they were with their family.
3.Grandpa was a farmer, so he was used to getting up early. They could stay up and party with the family, though. Grandpa would get his cat naps in during the day.
4. I remember Grandpa's workboots. They were well worn and attested to the strong work ethic that he possessed.
5. They should have owned stock in Deseret Book. They were always reading books by our Church leaders and sharing what they learned with the rest of us.Miscellaneous Stuff: Remember how much Grandpa hated Morning Glories? Whenever I see them growing wild, I think about that and laugh. I think we gave him a packet of seeds as a joke one year. Grandma's cooking was the best, bar none! Her rolls were heavenly, and she could make a breakfast that would be the envy of most restaurants."
-Renee
"I remember Mom liked to go shopping at fabric stores. She could look at a pattern book and then find a piece of fabric and know that they would look great together. When Mom would go shopping for the men in our family she liked to shop at Levens in Provo. I felt like they knew my parents and that was neat.
For Daddy I don't know if his favorite time of day was morning but he had no choice being a dairy farmer. When he retired he still was up fairly early. I know that Daddy liked to watch the news that came on at 10:00. He also would stay up and watch the BYU vs. Hawaii games if they were televised and they were late.
I think Mom liked to get up and get going. When we would do our canning she was already started by the time I would get there with my family.
I don't know that either Mom or Daddy had a favorite author. But I do know that they enjoyed reading, especially after their family were raised. I remember working in Daddy's journal and he would mention a particular book that he was reading. I would go down and visit them and they would both be reading. "
-Yvonne
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1. I remember many shopping excursions to the fabric stores. We would grab JoEllen and Yvonne and had such a good time. Got great deals, too. Grandma had an eye for a good deal. Who could forget Storehouse Market? They also had a traveling salesman that would stop by the house, and they would buy things from him.
ReplyDelete2. Don't recall their favorite time of day, but I am sure it was when they were with their family.
3.Grandpa was a farmer, so he was used to getting up early. They could stay up and party with the family, though. Grandpa would get his cat naps in during the day.
4. I remember Grandpa's workboots. They were well worn and attested to the strong work ethic that he possessed.
5. They should have owned stock in Deseret Book. They were always reading books by our Church leaders and sharing what they learned with the rest of us.
Miscellaneous Stuff: Remember how much Grandpa hated Morning Glories? Whenever I see them growing wild, I think about that and laugh. I think we gave him a packet of seeds as a joke one year. Grandma's cooking was the best, bar none! Her rolls were heavenly, and she could make a breakfast that would be the envy of most restaurants.